Saturday, June 7, 2014

It is an Adventure!

You can hardly call your blog, "The Adventures of CC & Me", without an adventure...

When we bought CC we knew the awning motor needed to be replaced & the dishwasher needed some service. Well after a couple of visits by the appliance repairman the dishwasher works.

The awning was a little more complicated. The delivery tech at Orlando RV was supposed to order the new awning motor, but by some glitch in the system, thought it was ordered. It wasn't. When we called back he was convinced it was on back order.

Being the patient guy I am, I waited until it was delivered. But after 2 months I became concerned. After a couple of unreturned phone calls & emails, I sent a snippy email to my salesman & voila, found out nobody ordered anything. Grrrrrrr.

After getting a little run around, I went to a local camper company & wouldn't you know after calling Carefree of California the motor was available & delivered in 24 hours. Then surprisingly Orlando RV found one to & dropped shipped it to me. So for 3 months I have no motor & now I have 2....

All I want is my awning to work. So off I go the get the motor installed. But it's a stormy day so I wait a couple of hours until it blows over & take CC to Lombardo's, the place that is going to fix the awning. Here is where up the adventure begins...

While driving down the highway in the post thunderstorm winds, the zip ties that were holding the awning closed broke & while driving at 45 mph the back half of the awning deployed & began flapping in the wind. I pulled over as fast as I could and looked up seeing it all billowing on the wind flopping around. Holy crap, I was freaking out!

I quickly call Jason at Lombardo, & he sent a guy to help me. I opened the storage bay, got out the ladder extension & climbed on the roof. (Did I mention it was windy!!!). I went to the awning, fought it in the wind & began to roll it up manually. That worked, it stopped flapping around & it looked ok. I then reached for my phone to get an ETA from Lombardo, but, no phone. It must have fallen out of my belt case, of course in the 2 foot tall grass along the road.

As I look down, I realized I left the door open to CC. What was I thinking?? So here I am. On the roof of CC, along the highway, wind howling, looks like it's going to rain any second, as in pouring rain. I can't let go of the awning. Holy crap!

Just then Jackie, who was going to pick me up at Lombardo's drives by. She pulls over to help. I'm trying to figure out a way to secure the awning so I can let go, when The tech shows up to help. He has a bunch of zip ties & climbs up to help. Of course he is worried about the wind & crawls to the edge with me.

As we begin to strap the awning down, Jackie finds my phone in the weeds. Like a good girl she takes a couple of pictures.

All secure we drive slowly to the shop.

Whew!

I go back to work & hope there isn't any damage to the awning....

Yippee, Lombardo's calls & the awning is in perfect condition, motor replaced & it works perfectly.....

But, the adventure's not over. They are locked out of CC.. You see she has two door locks. On top is the dead bolt. On the bottom a simple lock, like on a car door. A couple of RV dealers told us to not use the bottom lock because it's pretty generic & anybody could have one to get in. So all we use is the deadbolt.

But when the technician didn't know all that & locked the bottom one. Of course we have keys to that lock, bad thing is they're inside CC. Well Lombardo's had about 100 generic keys, of course none of them worked. (Do much for everybody has one theory) So they wound up breaking into a side window, with minimum damage & got in. (New part on order)

Almost over with. I got a ride back to the shop to get CC. And as I tried to call Rita to meet me at home....my phone battery is dead, really?

But, I threw it on a charger, called Rita & got CC home safely.

So here is the happily ever after part. CC is home, everything is in working order. We tested the awning, perfecto. She is fully stocked, and already for our next adventure.

And she even has her name tags on....

See you next adventure!"&

 

No comments:

Post a Comment